Your home or building’s air ducts play a crucial role in its greater HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system. They facilitate ventilation and create a path for conditioned air to move throughout the premises, thereby creating a comfortable indoor environment for all occupants. Considering all these benefits, it is essential that you take proper care of your air ducts. Failure to do so will most likely lead to them becoming contaminated. Such a situation will in turn cause them to operate inefficiently resulting in poor indoor air quality.
Tips to Keep Your Air Ducts Unpolluted
In order to prevent air duct contamination, the EPA (U.S Environmental Protection Agency) suggests the following tips listed below to guarantee proper air duct maintenance.
- You should only use the highest quality air filter recommended by the manufacturer of your building’s heating and cooling system in order to boost efficiency.
- Make sure you regularly change the filters.
- In case the filters get clogged easily, make sure you change them more frequently.
- Ensure that there are no missing filters or gaps where the air could pass around the filter holder.
- During a heating and cooling procedure, always remember to ask the service provider to clean the drain pans and cooling coils.
- In case there is any renovation or construction work to be done that may lead dust to find its way indoors, make sure you seal off the supply and return registers, and also avoid operating the heating and cooling system until the dust is cleaned up.
- Try to remove dust by vacuuming regularly using a high efficiency vacuum cleaner (HEPA), or the highest quality filter bags that your vacuum cleaner can take.
- In case your heating system includes in-duct humidification requirements, make sure you operate and maintain the humidifier as per the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Air ducts’ essential function to your HVAC system:
If the air ducts in a home or building become dirty or contaminated, it can lead to a variety of issues for occupants with allergies and respiratory disorders such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma. Also, poorly maintained air ducts suggest that you will most likely experience indoor air that is of poor quality.
Bay Area Specialists at Cleaning Air Ducts for Healthy HVAC Ventilation
The San Francisco Bay Area’s Element Home Solutions is an attic cleaning, crawl space cleaning, insulation, rodent proofing, and rodent removal company. Element Home Solutions will help you identify indoor air quality and air duct contamination issues by providing comprehensive surface testing services for microbial contaminants as well as other substances. Element Home Solutions also offers specialized inspection services and tools. If you’re interested in our expert services, or have questions, call 1-888-980-4822 or use our online form.